Principal Types of Localizations
Translation support in SOS is divided into two principal types: dataset translations and user interface translations.
Dataset TranslationsPermalink to Dataset Translations
Translations of dataset text is stored in the Data Catalog and is available to all localized SOS applications.
- Dataset names and descriptions are translated by using either SOS playlists edited in a text editor or tab separated value (tsv) files edited in a spreadsheet application (like Excel or Google Sheets)
- Highlights (spotlight) dataset temporary names and “why” descriptions are translated by using highlights dataset (hds) files edited in a text editor
- Major category, subcategory, highlights category, and keywords are translated using comma separated value (csv) files in a spreadsheet application (like Excel or Google Sheets).
User Interface TranslationsPermalink to User Interface Translations
Translations of UI text are stored in specific files under /shared/sos/locale on the SOS machine and are not shared between SOS applications.
- Remote App translations are defined using tab separated value (tsv) files in a spreadsheet application and converted to an Apple strings file format
- Public Kiosk translations are made using the Kiosk Administration User Interface and the 3rd-party Qt Linguist program on the Kiosk machine
- Visual Playlist Editor UI translations are made using tab separated value (tsv) files in a spreadsheet application (like Excel or Google Sheets) and the 3rd-party Qt Linguist program on the SOS machine
Each of the these types of translations will be discussed separately in the sections below, with the exception of localization for the Public Kiosk, which is covered in the Public Kiosk Manual. For general assistance on performing translations for SOS, please contact email@example.com.