SOS Remote App 5.5 Release Notes
This document summarizes the changes and additions to the Science On a Sphere® (SOS) SOS Remote App for Apple iOS in the version 5.4.x releases.
For detailed information on the SOS Remote App features, please refer to the SOS Remote App Manual.
Release DatesPermalink to Release Dates
- Version 5.5.0
- October 11, 2019
RequirementsPermalink to Requirements
- iOS 9.0 or later
- SOS 5.5
Most changes in Remote App 5.5 will work with SOS 5.4, with exceptions as noted.
Special Installation NotePermalink to Special Installation Note
If you are running iOS 9.2 or later on your device, you may experience some app installation glitches. Following are two common problems and solutions we have found:
Go to the Apple Store app on your device and install the latest SOS Remote app, version 5.4.0. When you open the app, the old version, version 5.1 or earlier, might appear (you will know it is an old version if you press the Folder button in the top left corner of the Presentation tab and do not see the new Reload Current button in the top right corner). If this happens, go to the Apple store again and click the Install or Update button again. You may have to do this a couple of times before the new version gets installed.
Once the new version is installed, if you go to the iPad Settings (gear icon on iPad’s home screen) and click on SOS Remote app, the settings fields like Name or IP may not show up. If this is the case, delete the app from memory (by double tapping the iPad’s home button and swiping away the SOS Remote app). Click on the SOS Remote app to re-open it. Now, go to the iPad SettingsSOS Remote app section again, and the SOS Remote app’s settings should appear.
Enhancements in 5.5.0Permalink to Enhancements in 5.5.0
Icon to Identify Site-Custom DatasetsPermalink to Icon to Identify Site-Custom Datasets
In order to quickly identify datasets that are Site-Custom datasets, we have appended a diamond icon to the name of every Site-Custom dataset in playlists and dataset search results.
Project On/Off ControlPermalink to Project On/Off Control
Under Settings, there are new controls to turn the projectors On or Off.
Bug Fixes in 5.5.0Permalink to Bug Fixes in 5.5.0
Playlist Builder Allows Overwriting PlaylistsPermalink to Playlist Builder Allows Overwriting Playlists
When saving a playlist from iPad playlist builder - it would save the first time you edit it, the second time you edit it it would ask you to save the playlist under a different filename. You could then reopen that playlist in the iPad and edit it and save it. But if you try to save it again it won’t let you. The fix allows you the option to save over the existing playlist filename.
Known Bugs in 5.5.0Permalink to Known Bugs in 5.5.0
- If a Live Program has a dataset with a bad path it may causes other dataset to disappear from the list
- When changing the iPad device to a new language, a few text strings (Slices and Overlays) stay in English
- In the Display Elements list (the list that gets shown when you tap the circled number next to a loaded dataset), site-custom overlays are not grouped with the other ‘Overlays’ Display Elements under certain circumstances. There are a few ways to ensure that a dataset attributed as an overlay in the site-custom directory appears in the ‘Overlays’ section of the Display Elements list:
datain the dataset playlist to specify the custom overlay
layerdatain the dataset playlist, but make sure
layerare exactly the same
- Put the data file in a directory under site-custom/ named overlays/
- Hidden layers flash on the sphere when dynamically added to another dataset using the Remote App