SOS Remote App - 5.4 Release Notes
This document summarizes the changes and additions to the Science
On a Sphere® (SOS) SOS Remote App for Apple iOS in the version 5.4.x
For detailed information on the SOS Remote App features, please refer to the SOS Remote App Manual (or browse to: Support > Manuals > SOS Remote App on the SOS website ).
- Version 5.4.0 - Nov. 19, 2018
- The SOS Remote App 5.4 requires iOS 9.0 or later and SOS 5.4.
Most changes in Remote App 5.4 will work with SOS 5.3, with exceptions
Special Installation Note
If you are running iOS 9.2 or later on your device, you may
experience some app installation glitches. Following are two common
problems and solutions we have found:
Go to the Apple Store app on your device and install the latest SOS Remote app, version 5.4.0. When you open the app, the old version, version 5.1 or earlier, might appear (you will know it is an old version if you press the Folder button in the top left corner of the Presentation tab and do not see the new Reload Current button in the top right corner). If this happens, go to the Apple store again and click the Install or Update button again. You may have to do this a couple of times before the new version gets installed.
- Once the new version is installed, if you go to the iPad Settings (gear icon on iPad's home screen) and click on SOS Remote app, the settings fields like Name or IP may not show up. If this is the case, delete the app from memory (by double tapping the iPad's home button and swiping away the SOS Remote app). Click on the SOS Remote app to re-open it. Now, go to the iPad Settings > SOS Remote app section again, and the SOS Remote app’s settings should appear.
Enhancements in 5.4.0
- The Labels section of the Remote App now applies to captions as well and has been renamed to "Labels / Captions". Note that the ON/OFF toggle and the opacity slider apply to both labels & captions together if they are used in your dataset. In this version, they cannot be controlled independently.
Bug Fixes in 5.4.0
- Some dataset catalog queries returned duplicate results when Keywords were selected for text searching.
- Translations did not work with iOS 11 or later due to changes made by Apple.
Known Bugs in 5.4.0
- When changing the iPad device to a new language, a few text strings (Slices and Overlays) stay in English.
- In the Display Elements list (the list that gets shown when you
tap the circled number next to a loaded dataset), site-custom overlays
are not grouped with the other 'Overlays' Display Elements under certain
circumstances. There are a few ways to ensure that a dataset
attributed as an overlay in the
site-customdirectory appears in the 'Overlays' section of the Display Elements list:
datain the dataset playlist to specify the custom overlay.
layerdatain the dataset playlist, but make sure
layerare exactly the same.
Put the data file in a directory under
Hidden layers flash on the sphere when dynamically added to another dataset using the Remote App.