SOS Public Kiosk - 5.5 Release Notes
This document summarizes the changes and additions to the Science
On a Sphere® (SOS) Public Kiosk ("Kiosk") in the SOS 5.5.x Kiosk
The Kiosk software provides a touch screen controller running on Windows intended for a general public audience to interact with an SOS exhibit when there is no presenter available. The Kiosk provides a flexible and easy-to-administer public controller that can be localized to native languages by using standard SOS playlists.
For detailed information on setting up, customizing, and using the Kiosk, please refer to the SOS Public Kiosk Manual (or browse to: Support > Manuals > SOS Public Kiosk on the SOS website). Note that this manual includes instructions for using the
utility, a command-line program that is installed on the SOS machines
running Ubuntu along with the main SOS software. This utility is needed
if you wish to tailor which datasets may be selected on your Kiosk.
- Version 5.5.0 - October 11, 2019
Requirements and Installation Instructions
- SOS Public Kiosk 5.5.x requires Windows 7, 8, or 10.
- This release is available upon request by contacting SOS Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. NOAA will provide Internet links to download a Kiosk installer program. This file is not obtainable using standard Ubuntu update management tools.
- The Kiosk is installed on a Windows machine with touch screen by double clicking the downloaded installer program,
setup.exe, and following the directions.
- The default configuration of the kiosk files are automatically
installed. If you have an existing kiosk configuration, the new one is
merged into that. If you want to start with a new copy and default
configuration of the latest kiosk software, you should uninstall your
current version before installing the new one.
Enhancements in 5.5.0
- The default datasets installed with the kiosk were improved by adding some new datasets and a few dataset updates.
Bug Fixes in 5.5.0
- It was possible to launch multiple kiosk instances.
- The kiosk can sometimes create an error popup in SOS Stream GUI on the SOS desktop.
Known Bugs in 5.5.0
- Closing the SOS application while the kiosk application is running crashes the kiosk.
- When setting a custom logo in
kiosk.soson the SOS machine using the
media2kioskutility, it isn't put in the right place for the kiosk to read. It must be manually moved before transferring the customized files from the SOS machine to the kiosk.