SOS Public Kiosk - 5.2 Release Notes
This document summarizes the changes and additions to the Science On a Sphere® (SOS) Public Kiosk ("Kiosk") in the SOS 5.2.x Kiosk release.
The Kiosk software provides a touch screen controller running on Windows intended for a general public audience to interact with an SOS exhibit when there is no presenter available. The Kiosk provides a flexible and easy-to-administer public controller that can be localized to native languages by using standard SOS playlists.
For detailed information on setting up, customizing, and using the Kiosk, please refer to the SOS Public Kiosk Manual (or browse to: Support > Manuals > SOS Public Kiosk on the SOS website). Note that this manual includes instructions for using the
media2kiosk utility, a command-line program that is installed on the SOS machines running Ubuntu along with the main SOS software. This utility is needed if you wish to tailor which datasets may be selected on your Kiosk.
- Version 5.2.1 - October 19, 2017
- Version 5.2.0 - April 6, 2017
Bug Fixes in 5.2.1
The 5.2.1 release contains bugs fixes made to the 5.2.0 release.
The trackball sphere was not shown tilted correctly for some datasets, such as Blue Marble and Mars. The tilt now matches the SOS display for those cases.
The Kiosk interface appeared stretched vertically when using the wrong resolution. This distortion effect is now corrected.
The viewpoint setting got reset each time the Kiosk was restarted, so the trackball image would not match the SOS display. This issue was detected on Windows 10 systems and the viewpoint no longer gets reset.
The Kiosk would crash when playing the "Maps Through History" and "El Nino and La Nina" datasets due to their very slow frames-per-second (fps) speed. The Kiosk software can now handle fps values less than 1.
Requirements and Installation Instructions
- SOS Public Kiosk 5.2.x requires Windows 7, 8, or 10
- This release is available upon request by contacting SOS Support at email@example.com. NOAA will provide Internet links to download a Kiosk installer program. This file is not obtainable using standard Ubuntu update management tools.
- The Kiosk is installed on a Windows machine with touch screen by double clicking the downloaded installer program,
setup.exe, and following the directions.
- The default configuration of the kiosk files are automatically installed. If you have an existing kiosk configuration, the new one is merged into that. If you want to start with a new copy and default configuration of the latest kiosk software, you should uninstall your current version before installing the new one.
New Features, Enhancements, and Fixes in 5.2.0
- Improved FTP error messages when there are problems transferring files between the SOS machine and the Kiosk Admin
- Added an option to reset all colors & fonts to default values
- Now prompt to save changes if a property is changed and Close is pressed before Apply,
- Added a space bar to the graphical keyboard
Public User Interface
- Now displays the new SOS graphic in the upper left corner and on the Windows desktop
- Fixed problem where rotating images on the sphere got out of sync with the trackball controller
- Made rotation of the trackball controller smoother
- Now updates the frame number while dragging the scroll bar
- Shows a default sphere image in the trackball if the selected dataset is not available on SOS
- Puts a movie icon on top of the dataset thumbnails that are movies with audio
- Overlays are disabled for Space and Narrated Movies datasets
- The "Now Playing" label now changes for autoplay mode = 1 (playing within a specified Group) and 2 (random play)
- Shows a green "LED light" image in lower left corner when the Kiosk is connected to the SOS machine; it turns to red when the Kiosk is not connected